Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A new kind of grocery store

I had been watching the evolution of Maple Leaf Gardens as it transitioned for a hockey arena to the new, much anticipated Loblaws. Yes there has been much controversy around this, but as far as I am concerned, why not? At least the building is being used and maintained. Good for Loblaws and Ryerson University for coming together.

I hope you understand that I could not be one of the first to attend the opening of the Loblaws, no I am not going to line up for the opening of a grocery store, so after a few weeks I decided to venture over and check out the famous 18 foot wall of cheese that I kept hearing about. It does not let you down. The wall of cheese or the store. It really is beautiful. The space, big, open, airy, clean and simple. The selection is great and the quality is right up there. The meat is stunning and the fish also looks fabulous. I love that they actually properly display the fish, each in their own metal tray on the ice so as not to contaminate the ice and potentially the other fish.


Then I make my way to the wall of cheese, and it truly is an 18 foot wall of cheese. Now, for those of you who don't know, I recently began studying to become a fromager so this was of particular interest to me. The selection was impressive, such as Avonlea Clothbound Cheddar, a Canadian artisanal cheese from Prince Edward Island, Mimolette from France and even French Morbier and the Canadian equivalent, Douanier. Definitely a place to visit when looking to put together a cheese board.



Doesn't that look beautiful? Now imagine pairing those cheeses with the beautiful Parma Ham show below!

This is definitely a new kind of grocery store. It sets the bar high. It is fun just to visit. Enjoy it...let it inspire you to prepare beautiful dishes in your home!

No comments:

Post a Comment