Saturday, February 19, 2011

Who said brussels sprouts are not good?



Most people I know can’t stand brussel sprouts. And to be perfectly honest, I never used to like them either. I am sure if we were all in a room and we asked how many people grew up eating their sprouts boiled we would find the majority of the room would raise their hands. Well to me, eating boiled brussel sprouts is almost as bad as when my dad used to break open the cod liver oil pills and make us drink the liquid just like that. YUCK! 
So, when I moved out of the house, I never cooked them or ate them. Until I discovered their nutritional value. They are extremely high in Vitamin C, iron, folate (for all you pregnant ladies) and also phytosterols which help lower cholesterol. They are a bit of a wonder vegge.
So, my first foray was roasted brussel sprouts, 
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
  1. Wash well, cut a a cross into the base of the sprout. I do find this a really helpful tip. It helps the sprouts cook evenly.
  2. Toss into a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and I like a little garlic powder, but that is not necessary. 
  3. Evenly coat the sprouts and then place them into a preheated 350 degree oven for approx. 30 mins. 

This recipe was the beginning to a new world of brussel sprouts. Until I discovered braising them. MMMMMmmmm is all I can say. The first time I made these, my family was out when they came out of the oven. I was curious to try them so I did, and ended up eating all of them. So I tried making them at Christmas this year. At my families Christmas, there were 10 kids, of which “were popping the sprouts like candies’ as my step-daughter Emily said. So, I guess you could say, pretty tasty. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Let me know if you are a convert.

Braised Brussel sprouts (serves 4 as a side dish)
Butter
Salt
Brussel Sprouts (approx. 10-12)
Parchment paper
Oven & stove top friendly dish
Preheat oven to 375F
  1. After cleaning and prepping your sprouts, but them into a pot of boiling water and cook for  approx 5 mins. 
  2. In the meantime, cut your parchment paper so that it will fit into your dish
  3. Butter your dish and all sides and also the parchment
  4. Place the parboiled sprouts into your dish and heat on med heat on the stove, as they start to sizzled shake them about so that they get coated with butter, about 5 mins. then remove from heat
  5. Drop approx. 2-3 tbsp of butter onto the sprouts and sprinkle with salt. Place the butter parchment loosely on top, butter side down, and place into the oven for approx 30 - 40 mins. 
  6. Remove from the oven and enjoy!!!






2 comments:

  1. Hi Michel
    Although we can wave to each other through the back yards, this blog seems a fun way to get to know each other better. I was interested in your brussel sprout recipe, but my former mother-in-law who was from England had us all beat hands down. My children, not her grandchildren LOVE brussel sprouts because of her. She called them "fairy cabbages"!! How perfect is that!
    Susan at 84

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you put up the macaroni and cheese recipe. Just got myself some fresh bread crumbs and was looking for a recipe. I love your blog and maybe I will get the courage to try the pastry. It'd be my first outside of Mrs. McLaughlin's Grade 7 cooking class at Ness Jr. High School. Gwen

    ReplyDelete