This is a great pie since even though it is creamy, it is not too sweet or to rich. It really is quite lovely, and simple. Hope you enjoy it!
|Photo taken by my friend at our Hawaiian themed office potluck|
Basic pie pastry
Once you have rolled your pastry, fill it either with pie weights or line with aluminum foil and fill with dried beans and bake at 400 F for approx. 20 mins. Carefully remove your weights and bake for about another 10 mins, or until it is a nice golden brown. Allow it to cool completely before you fill it.
Coconut Cream filling
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2-1/4 cups milk, scalded
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
3/4 cup whipping cream
- Combine the sugar and the cornstarch in a medium sized saucepan and then slowly add in your scalded milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, to ensure no lumps, until it has a nice thick and smooth consistency.
- Add approx. 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks and combine. Then add the entire egg mixture into the pot. Be sure to continue whisking and bring it to a boil.
- Remove it from the heat, and add in the vanilla, coconut and butter. Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate for approx. 2 hours.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks and fold it into your chilled filling. Pour it into your cooled pie shell.
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/8 cup toasted shredded coconut
- Whip the cream into stiff peaks, and add in the vanilla and the coconut. Spoon it onto the cooled pie.
- Sprinkle with the toasted coconut
|The last piece|