Sunday, August 28, 2011

Fish Tacos

Many years ago, my partner David and I went to Venice Beach in L.A. where I had the opportunity to try fish tacos for the first time. They were delicious and since that time, I  haven't found anything like them. And these are not like them either, sorry! But, I still think they are pretty good. Plus, the fish is so full of flavour that you could use the same fish recipe and serve with the salsa and rice and have a whole other meal. ln fact, you could pretty well dissect almost the entire meal and use each of the recipes in other meals.

This one though is fresh, simple, quick and easy to make! Obviously you could use use a store-bought salsa and guacamole, but, given how quick and truly easy they are to make, I prefer to make my own (plus it is a great way to impress guests!) In this case, I not only made my own, but I used fresh ingredients from my garden. My tomatoes and hot peppers are ready to go!

Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did! (This recipe served 3 adults)

Fish Tacos

FISH
3 Tilapia filets
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
  1. Sprinkle the fish, both sides, with the chili powder and salt. Gently rub it into the fish.
  2. Squeeze lime juice on the fish, then drizzle with olive oil. 
  3. Allow it marinade for approx. 1 hour.
SALSA
1/4 red or white onion, chopped fine
4-5 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 thai red chili, chopped fine (remove the seeds to make it less spicy)
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

  • Mix all of the above ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Stir and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.


GUACAMOLE
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1-1/2 limes, juiced
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
2 dashes chipotle sauce
1/2 thai chili chopped fine
sea salt to taste

  1. Place avocados in a medium sized bowl. Add garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt, cilantro and chipotle sauce.
  2. Mix thoroughly until all the ingredients are well combined and the avocado has achieved your desired texture. (I like mine a little lumpy).
TO SERVE:
1/4 head butter lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt
1/2 cup Feta cheese
6-8 small wraps
1/4 cup refried beans or black beans (optional)

Once all of that is ready, and your table is set, it is time to cook the fish!


COOKING THE FISH

  1. To cook the fish, heat a cast iron pan over med-high heat until it is almost smoking hot. 
  2. Add fish and all of the juices from the marinade and cook for approx. 3-5 mins per side (depending on thickness of the fish) or until the fish is cooked through.

Place on a platter, and serve while hot! This is a great serve yourself dinner. Everyone can mix and match their ingredients according to their tastes. I usually keep an extra bottle of hot sauce on the table for those who need that extra kick!



No comments:

Post a Comment