This one though is fresh, simple, quick and easy to make! Obviously you could use use a store-bought salsa and guacamole, but, given how quick and truly easy they are to make, I prefer to make my own (plus it is a great way to impress guests!) In this case, I not only made my own, but I used fresh ingredients from my garden. My tomatoes and hot peppers are ready to go!
3 Tilapia filets
1 lime, juiced
1 tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
- Sprinkle the fish, both sides, with the chili powder and salt. Gently rub it into the fish.
- Squeeze lime juice on the fish, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Allow it marinade for approx. 1 hour.
1/4 red or white onion, chopped fine
4-5 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 thai red chili, chopped fine (remove the seeds to make it less spicy)
1/4 cup olive oil
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- Mix all of the above ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Stir and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1-1/2 limes, juiced
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
2 dashes chipotle sauce
1/2 thai chili chopped fine
sea salt to taste
- Place avocados in a medium sized bowl. Add garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt, cilantro and chipotle sauce.
- Mix thoroughly until all the ingredients are well combined and the avocado has achieved your desired texture. (I like mine a little lumpy).
1/4 head butter lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt
1/2 cup Feta cheese
6-8 small wraps
1/4 cup refried beans or black beans (optional)
Once all of that is ready, and your table is set, it is time to cook the fish!
COOKING THE FISH
- To cook the fish, heat a cast iron pan over med-high heat until it is almost smoking hot.
- Add fish and all of the juices from the marinade and cook for approx. 3-5 mins per side (depending on thickness of the fish) or until the fish is cooked through.
Place on a platter, and serve while hot! This is a great serve yourself dinner. Everyone can mix and match their ingredients according to their tastes. I usually keep an extra bottle of hot sauce on the table for those who need that extra kick!