Sunday, August 21, 2011

My favorite salad, The Cobb

I love Cobb Salad. It has a little bit of everything that I love, cheese, bacon, avocado and more. It is particularly good when prepared now when we can use the vegetables that are in season. Ontario has fantastically sweet peaches'n'cream corn and my tomatoes that I have grown in the backyard are ripening. Plus, with the heat of the summer, salad is all I want to eat. So Cobb it is.  I hope you enjoy this version, full of protein and lycopene, fibre and more, so a meal you can feel good about, it covers all the bases, indulgent with the cheese, but healthy!


Cobb Salad
1 head boston/butter lettuce
2 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts (Scallopini style/cut thin)
6-8 slices organic bacon
2 cobbs of corn or 1-1/2 cups frozen or canned
1 avocado, cut into cubes
1 full tomato, cut into cubes
1/2 cup blue cheese (I like Roquefort)
1 cucumber (which I actually didn't include this time)
4 hard-boiled organic eggs
1/4 cup nicoise olives (optional)

Dressing:
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2/3 cup olive oil
2 tbsp chopped chives
salt & pepper

  1. Cook your bacon until it is crispy. Once it has cooled, break them into pieces and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 5-10 mins to make them extra crispy and set aside.
  2. On med-high heat, cook the chicken breasts in the leftover bacon grease until cooked. Allow them  to cool and then set aside.
  3. If you are using fresh corn, remove cut it away from the cobb and steam. I cut my corn directly onto a tea towel to keep if from rolling off the cutting board and onto the floor
  4. To assemble the salad, lay out the lettuce onto a dish. Then in sections, lay each of the ingredients. If your plate is circular, lay them out on top of the lettuce like individual pie slices (as I have done), if your dish is square or rectangular, lay the ingredients in rows. 
  5. Drizzle with your salad dressing
Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. a cobb is my most favourite salad the world over. and even though i am not a fan of blue cheese, it seems perfection in a cobb.

    ReplyDelete