Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chicken with Piri Piri Sauce


I was recently given a copy of the Chatelaine Magazines cookbook, Modern Classics. I could not wait to dig into it. I loved the overall aesthetic, the pale blue cover, the beautiful photos, etc. But I was also really looking forward to looking at the recipes. Over the last few years, I have noticed that Chatelaine has really stepped up their game in the food section. The photos are not only beautiful, but the recipes are quick and easy and definitely family friendly. So when I received the cookbook, I anticipated more of the same, and I was not disappointed.

One thing I also really liked about it, was that the recipes include great tips, and are also easily adjusted to suit your own needs. For example, I made the Piri Piri Chicken on page 120. It was crazy how easy it was. But with the leftover sauce, David made an oven-roasted chicken with rice, tomatoes onions and you guessed it, Piri Piri sauce.

This version is not too spicy so ok if you have older kids who can handle a little heat, but if you like more, you can definitely add more heat. I really enjoy the flavour in their recipe as is though since you get heat, but you can also taste the red pepper.

Enjoy!

5 garlic cloves
1 sweet red pepper
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp white, cider or red wine vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
1 tsp salt
1/3 tsp hot chili flakes
4 boni-in chicken breasts or thighs (I used thighs
  1.  Cut garlic cloves in half. Coarsely chop red pepper. Coarsely chop jalapeno, including seeds. Place all in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add oil, vinegar, salt and chili flakes. Stir often until peppers sizzle and soften, about 4 minutes. Pour in a large bowl. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to cool. Pour into a food processor or blender and pulse until pureed.
  2. When ready to barbecue, oil grill and heat barbecue to medium. Place chicken in a large bowl. Pour in 1/3 cup sauce and turn to evenly coat. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce for up to 1 week. Place chicken on the grill. Barbecue, lid closed, 6 minutes, then brush on any sauce left in the bowl. Turn chicken and continue to barbecue, lid closed, until chicken feels springy when pressed and is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment