Well the tomato season is over, but I sure reaped the benefits of my tomato plants this year! I have never planted them before and truly had no idea how many tomatoes each plant would yield, so now I know better for next year. But, I am not complaining, I went through 3 harvests with my plants and passed baskets to my neighbors, family, friends and anyone else who would take them. I make tomato tart (which you already have the recipe for), tomato sauce, tomato salad. oven-roasted tomatos and more. Below is my basic basic tomato sauce. Great as a base. The trick to this one, is slow cooking it, long and low heat to allow it to thicken and for all the flavours to come out.
My Tomato Sauce
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp smoked paprika
3 quarts fresh roma tomatoes, skinned
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil and the garlic on low heat until you can smell the garlic.
- Add in paprika and the oregano and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, and using an emulsifying hand blend, mix it until it is smooth
- Allow it to simmer for approx. 1 hour with the lid off
- Add in the fresh oregano and let it simmer again for another hour
- Check it regularly to ensure it doesn't get too thick. Add in your salt & pepper to taste